LoginSign Up
Add to collection
Enlarge
Image

All images in this record

[Physicians removing a young patient's body cast, Jewish Hospital for Joint Diseases, East Harlem, New York]

Object Name
181
Datelate 1940s-early 1950s (printed 2012)
Label Text

The Jewish Hospital for Joint Diseases was founded in 1905 with a mission to “bring relief…to the orthopedic problems of children,” including polio. In 1917, the hospital became a charter member of the Federation of Jewish Philanthropies (FJP), and by the 1940s, when Vishniac worked as a freelance photographer for various Jewish hospitals in New York, was producing illustrated brochures and annual reports of the work they were doing as part of their fundraising efforts.

Medium
Inkjet print
Dimensions
Image: 10 x 9 5/8 in. (25.4 x 24.4 cm)
Location
place taken New York, New York, United States
Credit Line
Roman Vishniac Archive
Accession Number2012.80.50
Copyright
© Mara Vishniac Kohn, courtesy International Center of Photography

For all uses of photographs by Roman Vishniac contact ICP at: [email protected].