LoginSign Up
Add to collection
Enlarge
Image

All images in this record

    [Student nurses practicing their skills by giving each other injections, Jewish Hospital School of Nursing, Crown Heights, Brooklyn, New York]

    Object Name
    179
    Datelate 1940s early 1950s
    Label Text

    An increased demand for nurses during World War II, and the establishment of the Cadet-Nursing Corps in 1943, contributed to public recognition of nursing as a profession and an expansion of nurses’ duties. The prestigious and rigorous Jewish nursing schools photographed by Vishniac during the late 1940s and early 1950s reflect the increased responsibility accorded to the profession in the postwar period—making it an attractive profession for many female Holocaust survivors and refugees, recent immigrants working to establish new lives in New York. Vishniac documented the monumental changes to the profession at institutions like the Jewish Hospital School of Nursing in Brooklyn and Beth Israel Hospital’s Jewish nursing school in Manhattan.

    Medium
    Gelatin silver print
    Dimensions
    Image (paper): 8 1/8 x 10 in. (20.6 x 25.4 cm)
    Location
    place taken New York, Brooklyn, New York, United States
    Credit Line
    Promised Gift of Mara Vishniac Kohn
    Accession Number1992.804
    Copyright
    © Mara Vishniac Kohn, courtesy International Center of Photography

    For all uses of photographs by Roman Vishniac contact ICP at: [email protected].