LoginSign Up
Add to collection
Enlarge
Image
Enlarge
Image
Enlarge
Image

All images in this record

[Student raising her hand in Hebrew school, Bronx House, Washington Avenue, Bronx]

Object Name
184
Dateealy to mid-1940s
Label Text

The Bronx House was established in 1911 to serve the large number of first-generation Jewish-Americans who had moved to the Bronx to escape the crowded conditions of Manhattan tenements. A Jewish settlement house in what was then New York’s most heavily Jewish borough, its goal was to improve the quality of residents’ lives by offering arts, education, and recreation activities within the context of Jewish communal values. In the 1920s, the programming of the Bronx House reflected the radical nature of many Jewish residents, teaching consumer education and establishing retail cooperatives, hosting union meetings, offering night classes in Yiddish, and featuring many left-wing Yiddish speakers in its lecture series. In the 1930s and 1940s, when this photograph was taken, it operated as a Jewish Community Center. The classroom seen here is decorated with posters supporting immigration and aid to Palestine. Vishniac’s photographs of the Bronx House were probably commissioned by the Jewish Educational Committee (a photograph by Vishniac at the same site appears in one of their pamphlets).

Medium
Gelatin silver print
Dimensions
Image: 8 1/8 x 7 11/16 in. (20.6 x 19.5 cm) Paper: 8 15/16 x 8 1/16 in. (22.7 x 20.5 cm)
Location
place taken Bronx, New York, United States
Credit Line
Promised Gift of Mara Vishniac Kohn
Accession NumberMVK.803.2008
Copyright
© Mara Vishniac Kohn, courtesy International Center of Photography

For all uses of photographs by Roman Vishniac contact ICP at: vishn[email protected].